China’s favorite Hawaii destinations
Pacific Business News
by Duane Shimogawa Jan 30, 2015, 1:00am HST
The following 2014 data on real estate investment trends by Chinese residents was compiled by Juwai.com, a Chinese international property portal.
HAWAII LOCATIONS RECEIVING THE MOST INTEREST FROM CHINESE BUYERS:
1) Honolulu, Oahu
2) Kailua, Oahu
3) Kapolei, Oahu
4) Lahaina, Maui
5) Kapalua, Maui
TOP COUNTRIES FOR CHINESE REAL ESTATE INVESTORS:
1) United States
3) United Kingdom
TOP U.S. STATES FOR CHINESE REAL ESTATE INVESTORS:
3) New York
TYPES OF PROPERTIES THAT CHINESE BUYERS ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Waterfront and water views
- Luxury suburbs (especially high-net-worth buyers)
- Close to good public or private schools and universities
- Southern facing for natural light
- New construction, renovated, or not needing substantial work
- Centrally located to shopping, transportation and other amenities
$1,170,443 — The average property price that Chinese buyers inquire about.
$3 million— The average total real estate budget that buyers report in user surveys.
FORECAST FOR CHINESE REAL ESTATE INVESTORS
- A 15 percent to 20 percent increase in Chinese buyer transactions in the coming 12 months.
- If China significantly liberalizes capital controls, the flow of money will increase even more.